Work visa for Turkey
A work visa for Turkey is an authorization to travel to Turkey for employment purposes. A work visa must be obtained together with a work permit, without which foreigners cannot work in Turkey.
Do I need a visa to work in Turkey?
All citizens of the world, except nationals of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, need a work visa and a work permit in order to work in Turkey. If you are traveling to Turkey for any purpose other than work, you should check our article on who needs a visa for Turkey to find out if you need one or not.
How to apply for a work visa for Turkey?
The work visa application process for Turkey differs a bit from the application process for other Turkish visas. This, because in the process of applying for a Turkish work visa are involved both parties, the employee and the employer.
Note that you must have a job offer or employment contract before applying for a work visa in Turkey. You cannot start the process to obtain this visa without having a concrete job offer in Turkey.
Below is all the necessary information you need to know before you start applying.
When and where to apply ?
You should apply for a Turkish work visa as soon as you receive a job offer to work in Turkey. However, you can apply at the earliest two months before the date of your departure for Turkey. Whereas, you can submit an application no later than one month before.
You must submit your application file to the Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence. In some countries, you may need to submit your application to a third-party visa application center, to which Turkey has outsourced visa submission.
Within 10 days of your request, your employer must submit other required documents from him to the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security (MLSS). If your employer does not deliver the documents on time, your application will be rejected as incomplete.
Select the right Turkish work visa
Depending on the field of employment in Turkey, when completing the online form for a Turkish work visa, you will need to select one of the employment types listed below:
- Job Purpose/Special Job Purpose
- Assigned lecturers/academics
- Assigned athlete
- Assigned artists
- Workers assigned to the free zone
- Journalists assigned
- Fixture and Repairer Purposes
Documents required to apply for a work visa for Turkey
To apply for a Turkish visa, you need to submit a few documents on the day of your interview. These documents are:
- Your valid passport. Should be valid for at least six months after your arrival in Turkey
- Two photographs. You must submit biometric photos taken within six months
- Police certificate. This document will prove that you are not the subject of a criminal investigation or that you have not had any legal problems in the past
- Job offer or contract. The document must indicate your position, monthly salary and the period of validity of the contract
- Sworn translation or certified official translation of the diploma or provisional certificate of completion
- Diploma or provisional diploma equivalence certificate. This document must be obtained in accordance with Turkish regulations on the equivalence of diplomas from foreign higher education institutions
- Medical insurance . Covering the whole of Turkey for the duration of your planned stay here
- Proof of accommodation in Turkey. This can be a rental contract or proof of real estate in Turkey
- Livelihoods. Turkish authorities require proof of having at least €50 for each day you plan to spend in Turkey
- Proof of flight tickets booked. If you plan to travel to Turkey by plane, you will need to book a return flight and present this document to the embassy or consulate on the day of your appointment
Depending on your case and your nationality, the embassy processing your application may ask you to provide additional documents. Make sure to submit them all on time.
Appointment for Turkish work visa
On the day of your visa appointment, arrive on time at the embassy, consulate or visa application center. Make sure you have all the required documents with you and none are missing. The interview is a short meeting with a consular officer, who will ask you questions about your new job offer and your background.
Try to prepare a little before your interview before that day. Make sure you are relaxed and answer each question correctly.
After the interview, you must inform your employer in Turkey. The employer must submit additional documents to the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security (MLSS) within ten working days of your request.
Application for a work permit in Turkey
Applying for a work visa in Turkey is worth nothing without applying for a work permit. While the Turkey work visa application must be submitted by the foreign employee, the work permit application process must be completed by the employer in Turkey.
The work permit in Turkey is equivalent to a residence permit.
How to apply for a work permit for Turkey ?
Within ten days of your visa appointment at the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence, your employer in Turkey must complete an online application on the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security website (MLSS).
Once the application is completed, the employer must send the required documents to the embassy, either by mail or in person. This must be completed within ten days of your interview and no more than six working days after the online application. Please calculate the time spent with your employer so that you do not lose the chance to obtain a work visa only because of delays.
Documents required for a work permit in Turkey
The employer in Turkey must submit the following as part of a Turkish work permit application:
- Work permit application letter
- Foreign Personnel Application Form
- The Commercial Registry Gazette of Turkey, detailing the current shareholding and capital structure of the entity
- A balance sheet and income statement for the most recent year, certified by the tax authorities or a certified public accountant
- Notarized power of attorney for the person authorized to file the online application as a user on behalf of the entity or organization to employ the foreigner
- Upon presentation of these documents, all you have to do is wait for your application to be processed for you and your employer
Processing visa and work permit applications for Turkey
Once your employer has submitted the documents required for a work permit in Turkey, the ministry takes a maximum of thirty days to make a decision.
Procedures relating to duly filed work permit applications are concluded by the Ministry within a maximum period of thirty days provided that all required documents are submitted in full.
After getting a Turkish work visa
Once your application is approved, you have a maximum of one hundred and eighty days to enter Turkey. As soon as you arrive in Turkey, you must register for the address registration system in Turkey within a maximum period of one month after your arrival.